Opera Desktop 18 Released
getUserMedia and WebRTC
Developers will be glad to know that access to the camera and microphone with
Note how the tab that’s accessing your video or audio has a pulsing red beacon to remind you that you’re broadcasting, even if you’re reading another tab, so you’re not accidentally recorded picking your nose while reading Slashdot.
More Extension APIs
Opera 18 adds the following APIs to extensions:
- chrome.permissions (tutorial)
- chrome.browsingData (tutorial)
- chrome.contentSettings (tutorial)
- chrome.omnibox (tutorial)
- chrome.privacy (tutorial)
- Opera Off-Road Mode extension API (available through chrome.types) (UPDATE: removed in Opera 59)
See our Opera 15+ extensions documentation for in-depth discussion of these APIs.
Also, a big shout-out to Martin Kadlec (BS-Harou) who suggested an Off-Road Mode API with a concrete use-case. Thanks, Martin!
Themes, and what’s next
In the next two weeks, we’ll promote the experimental Opera developer stream to feature-complete Opera.Next so you can try out new standards and features. Keep an eye on the Opera desktop team blog for documentation about forthcoming releases and full changelogs.